Twitter

follow me on Twitter

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Menu for the Week

Okay so you know EL & I are Dave Ramsey Graduates....it was probably one of the biggest blessings that we randomly heard his radio show almost 10 years ago while driving back to Nashville from our honeymoon.  He was running a sale on FPU and so we thought we'd give it a shot. Another random but cool thing was that when we got home, we checked our mail and someone had sent us a late wedding present and it was the amount of the class...crazy right:)  So, we enrolled and went to 13 weeks of Financial Peace University.  It was huge for us.  We began our married life living on a budget, within our means, and saving for our future.  We ended up paying around $65,000-$70,000 in loans (student loans-yes I went to a private, Christian college that ate my lunch in student loans, brand new car-I loved my Honda, 2 Master's degrees-bogo since he was employed by the school) and we also saved 20% to put down on a house payment.  We rocked Dave Ramsey!!  We had a lot going for us, Levi didn't make a whole lot as a RD of a men's dorm BUT we had no living expenses, he got a free master's, and he had a SWEET part time job at Highland Park Church (awesome experience).  The first year, I was a secretary not making a whole lot.  The last 2 years, I taught and the school that I was at included summer school so it was awesome.  The situation was GREAT!!  Anyway, I say all that to say, it was a blessing because if you've heard our "We Moved to Texas" story you'll know that we got our butts kicked in the finances department.  We paid 2 mortgages for 13 months and lost a lot on our house in North Carolina.  Fortunately, we haven't accrued any credit card debt and we are rebuilding our savings.  It's all good and it was a good life lesson for us.  I tend to be judgemental (Annie-I've lost count of my character flaws but that's another).  Because we were such good savers and money spenders, I thought it was well within everyone elses means to save and pay debt.  And, I do think that the choices we have to be accountable and responsible with our money.  At the same time, life sometimes deals you situations that don't always fit into that nice, neat box of logic.  I've learned to lighten up on that kind of stuff...okay so I'm learning. 

oh my lands....anyway, the purpose of this blog was to tell you my menu for the week.  We live out of our envelopes and try to NOT eat out too often...ha!!!  Here goes:
Monday-cookout (I'm taking strawberry shortcake & corn on the cob)
Tuesday- ham, mashed potatoes, green beans
Wednesday- grilled chicken pizza & salad
Thursday- chicken pot pie
Friday- steaks, baked potatoes, salad
Saturday- grilled chicken & veggies

However, ELi has not taken me out for my birthday dinner...SO not his fault, our schedules have been crazy and I can hear him now, "You went to see Wicked on your birthday with your friends."   yeah yeah yeah... :)

No comments: