Twitter

follow me on Twitter

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Freezer Cooking =WOWSER

Okay so first let me say that freezer cooking is a crazy endeavor. It is tiresome and crazy while you're doing it, however, the benefits of having food for the next month is AWESOME. I've done freezer cooking a variety of ways. One time, Meagan and I shopped and cooked together and it was crazy.  Other times, I've done it cooperatively. Where, say 5 of us each cook 5 of 2 dishes and then we swap.  Well, this time, I did it solo....well, with my kids.  I grocery shopped with my kids which was overwhelming & frustrating because we needed so much.  I was also doing the KROGER mega sale so I had certain coupons and had to count items & confusing stuff like that.  The kids actually did great, I'm a mess when thrown off my schedule & that is why it was trying for me. I'm going to try to break my total spent down by freezer cooking & then the MEGA sale stuff that I couldn't pass up b/c it was free or SUPA cheap.  So, here is what I have in my freezer:

Main Dishes:
4 Poppy Seed Chicken (6 servings each)
4 Garlic Pizza Kits (not sure servings but each will make a large pizza)
3 Beef Stroganoff ( 6 servings each)
4 Calzones (4 servings each)
2 Sloppy Joes (6 servings each)
3 Salisbury Steak (4 servings each)
2 Taco Pies (6 servings each)
4 Cheesy Chicken Pot Pies (6 servings each)
4 Ziti (6 servings each)
2 Saucy Pork Chops ( 4 servings each)
2 BBQ Brisket (4 servings each)

Side Dishes:
4 Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes (6 servings each)
2 Creamy Italian Noodles ( 6 servings each)
5 Mac N Cheese (6 servings each)

Desserts:
4 Ice Cream Shoppe Pies (1 Blueberry/Strawberry, 1 Random Swirl, 1 Rocky Road, 1 Chocolate Chip)
3 Frozen Peanut Butter Bars (48 servings total)

Levi requested hot pockets which I haven't gotten to yet but I do have crescent rolls and chicken left so I may do a cheesy chicken crescent hot pocket or I might try bacon, egg, & cheese hot pockets. I'm worn out so those will have to wait at least until tomorrow.  The kitchen is closed.

The funny thing is, I started at 9:30pm on Wed. and went to bed at 2am.  Thursday night, I started at 7pm and went to bed at 2 am. Friday, I did some during the day but not much, I finished that night. I started at 8:30 pm and went to bed at 1:30am.   I did most of this while the kids were in bed.  It was easier that way, I could start & finish for the most part. 

Okay so now for the totals of what I spent. I spent approximately $152 on groceries, freezer bags, etc.  So, if I break that down into servings, I have a total of servings 320 (Main Dishes= 182 servings, Side Dishes= 66, Desserts=72 ). So, that means each serving cost about $0.46.  That is crazy to think about!!!

If you've never freezer cooked...it's fun and so nice for the rest of the month if you can handle the butt kickin' at the beginning!!

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Would love to have your recipes. Are they ones that are pre-cooked (such as the meet)? Most of the ones I did didn't involve cooking of the meat ahead of time. It saved a bunch of time. It was more of cutting veggies, preparing sauces and spices, bagging up in a certain way and then freezing. Then you pulled out the bag and had everything there and ready to bake, grill, etc. I'll send you some of my favorite recipes!