Twitter

follow me on Twitter

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Today

So today we went with Erik & Wendi to the Sammons Center for Wendi's appointment. They are awesome by the way. When they've talked about the appointments it always intrigued me so I'm glad we got to go today. I was really excited, probably built up a little too much anticipation. Levi and I were kidless and I always enjoy that time too. (Thanks Emily, Heather, & Ansley!!) We got to the appointment and they called them back pretty quickly. Levi and I were in the waiting room and were sitting next to an older couple, in their 70's. We started talking to them. They were so nice and the man started telling us about his cancer. He was fine until he hit 70 and had lung cancer and then a couple of small tumors in his brain. He is cancer free now and was telling us about the state of the art technology that Baylor has and how awesome Baylor is. Then he looked at us and said, "You can have all the money in the world and be wealthy but if you don't have your health, you don't got nothing." And then he said, "The Good Lord has been good to us." And she smiled as if to say, "Amen!" They were called back shortly. I told Levi how sobering the place was. As I looked around the room and as people passed, I thought that each one has a story about cancer and how they are fighting this horrible disease. I almost got choked up a number of times and had the urge to go up and ask them to tell me their story. I've never known someone to have cancer in my adult life. Since we've moved here, I've encountered it in such a real way, it's scary. I'm so glad I got to go with them today because it opened my eyes and my heart in a different way and a new perspective. When Erik and Wendi came out, they were encouraged. She is going to start chemo soon but found out there might be some new developments with the research and maybe one of these will apply to her type of cancer. Again, sobering to look at my friend who looks healthy and vibrant and beautiful and know that she has cancer. Please pray for her in the next few weeks as she begins chemo. I know God can give her strength and a peace during this time. Honestly, I don't know how but I know He can. The weird part to this (not really weird) is that as we were leaving, we ran into my friend Janessa, from my playgroup. I blogged about her yesterday and how we talked a lot about her battle with cancer. She and Wendi hit it off and they had an instant bond, I almost got teary again. Janessa's going to pass on her scarves and hats. It was no coincidence that we ran into her. I had just finished telling Wendi about Janessa earlier. Thank you God for all these strong women in my life and let me learn from them and from you as we journey together.

No comments: